Powered by steam impulse engines, the boats were rumoured to be capable of cruising at 55knots. The louvres over the engine bays had to be opened to permit effective cooling, and closing of the gills in bad weather conditions forced a reduction in power, and consequently speed. The Martian-derived joining technology took its toll of the hull armour as relatively rapid corrosion was induced in the otherwise outstanding armour plate based on the Nautilus design.
Plot hooks to boot:
- The Nautilus was scuttled inside Mysterious Island by Captain Nemo of course.
- The War of the Worlds is well known, and the heat ray disasters are mentioned by Welles at the close of his book.
- Torchwood refers to the Dr Who institution founded by HM Queen Victoria to counter alien threats.
- Vosper and Vosper is derived from Vosper and Thornycroft, who were already in business back then.
- Mr. Jarvis Pennyworth (the designer) has a name and surname derived from Alfred's assumed surname and an ancestor's name - Alfred Pennyworth being Bruce Wayne's butler.
- The organization which recovered the Nautilus plates is of course the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, reorganized after Nemo himself had left.