Sunday 2 September 2007

Whats in a name?

I recently regaled Mssr Betts with this tale, who thought it sufficiently caddish and of drawing room interest to post here. He had asked me where the name "Yours in a White Wine Sauce" had come from...

About 15 years ago (good god! I'm really not that old you know) I was playing a Colonial game with a few of the lads. The Zulu war as I recall, with the movie of the same name playing in the background for ambiance purposes. Of course nobody wanted to be the Zulus so we all played British units and had the Fuzzies on some automatic rules. We all played Officer characters leading our own units of stout chaps in redcoats, but could not discuss tactics or anything while we played. Unless of course, a runner figure had first moved around on the battlefield to pass messages, at which time a hand written note could be delivered to the player concerned.

I was in a particularly hairy situation at the head of the column and surrounded by some rather angry locals with spears, when a runner arrived. I was given a note (written by the player who was the "Colonel") inviting me to afternoon tea at the centre of the column. It was signed "Yours in a White Wine Sauce etc" and took me quite by surprise, as that was before rampant silliness became the norm on our wargaming table.

With good Flashman-like courage, my character accepted the invitation and trotted off after handing command over to his Sergeant. Thus he was absent when his troops were completely surrounded and got the chop. The cucumber sandwiches were lovely and crisp though, with not a hint of sogginess.

It turns out that the good 'Colonel' got the idea from an old Monty Python skit where some shipwrecked sailors debate the finer points of cannibalism, leading to a letter of protest from a Naval Officer decrying that cannibalism is not longer an issue in the RN. He signs the letter "Captain B.J. Smethick in a White Wine Sauce with shallots, mushrooms and garlic".
.
So there you have it, I hope you enjoyed the tale.
Its left my throat a little parched though, time for another drink!

Yours in a White Wine Sauce,
Paul

PS You can see the Monty Python skit here- the letter comes in at 3:05





7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Sir,

I am glad to hear that your studio audience disapproves of the last skit as strongly as I. As a naval officer I abhor the implication that the Royal Navy is a haven for cannibalism. It is well known that we now have the problem relatively under control, and that it is the RAF who now suffer the largest casualties in this area.

And what do you think the Argylls ate in Aden. Arabs?

Yours etc.
Captain B.J. Smethwick in a white wine sauce with shallots, mushrooms and garlic.

Daniel said...

Some of that skit was sick, funny but sick... :-)

dfc

Don M said...

so if you had used the "Lumberjack"
skit this blog could have been the
Brigadier Mrs?

Oscar1986 said...

cool blog, intriguing views, superior read. Good content unique. If you get a chance check out my Ancient worldz blog:)love any comments feedback

Paul O'G said...

Maybe so Don, but I it would have "and I'm OK!"

Oscar - thanks for the comments, glad you like it. I'll drop by your blog shortly!

Paul O'G said...

BTW I started a thread at TMPfor this article hee.

True to silliness, it ran a strange path to discuss different sandwich fillings!

MaksimSmelchak said...

Hi Tas,

Awesome!

Shalom,
Maksim-Smelchak.


An exploration of debauchery, vice and other reasons to be a man!

An exploration of debauchery, vice and other reasons to be a man!