Monday 27 November 2017

"Zulus Sah! Fousands of 'em!"

Massed warriors (around 350 of them)- how a Zulu Impi should look!
This is a post some 24 years in the making. Some time ago I quite enjoyed Colonial gaming and the Zulu War was my conflict of choice.  Some mates and I put together armies in 15mm and had a great time.  Early in 1994 I had a major life change and the figs were packed away.  I've since moved house some 18 times and the figs have remained unopened; the awful noises that came from the box made me shy away.  Then last week when there was interest at the club about doing some Colonial gaming and I realised I (might) have all the figures.  Depending on how they fared at least. Here is what greeted me once I plucked up the courage to open the Zulu Box...
The Horror... The Horror...
And after 23 years this was the sum total of damage - other than bent spears and knoberries which needed reshaping
The vast majority of these figs, if not all, are from Essex 15mm colonial range
Usuthu!!!
I love the warrior in the bottom right corner wearing a captured British flag as a trophy!
And if one of going to cross the Buffalo River into Zululand, you need some terrain to fight over right?
Semblance of a small veldt hamlet named after an Irishman
British tentage and a Kraal
Next Up: The British and their Boer allies.

4 comments:

Don M said...

Not bad at all Paul, they fared pretty well but then Essex figures are solid!

Paul O'G said...

They sure are - and two coats of dull coat varnished clearly helped too
Thanks Don!

A J said...

Tough little chaps.

Paul O'G said...

Thats what Lord Chelmsford thought in 1879 too I'm sure!


An exploration of debauchery, vice and other reasons to be a man!

An exploration of debauchery, vice and other reasons to be a man!